Thursday, March 13, 2008

Opinion: This too shall pass

“This too shall pass.” I remember the last time I heard those words, I wanted to scream! No one was listening to me, no one cared, didn't they understand they were making a terrible mistake! It was 2002 and the Del Mar Union School District board was making a decision about boundaries. I spoke at several meetings during that time, asked several questions, didn't get any answers and in the end felt like I was just going through the motions because a decision had already been made. My children were forced out of the only elementary school they had ever known, my family was heart broken, and I was angry. It is because of my experience six years ago that I have empathy for those people angry and saddened by the resignation of superintendent Tom Bishop. It is my experience of six years ago that also allows me to turn the other cheek when I hear my name being trashed and my neighborhood (Palacio) being blamed.

I attended the meeting the night the board accepted Mr. Bishop's resignation and it brought back a flood of emotions for me. Not again, I thought. Friend against friend, neighbor against neighbor. But, of course, people are passionate, this is emotional and people don't always say the right things or act the right way when they feel betrayed. I admit that in the days and months after the boundary dispute of 2002, I remained angry, but I moved on and six years later I can honestly say it has worked out well. I have made some great new friends and my children have received a solid education.

There will be much talk in the coming weeks and months about this decision and how to respond. Although I expect it will continue to get ugly, I hope and pray that is not the case. I know there is talk of a recall effort. I understand that. It is still too fresh, too emotional. But where does it end? Just how far will we go as a parent community and for what? This district is about more than one man. Our children go to school each day eager to learn and have fun with their friends. They work hard and we should be proud. Can we say the same about our actions as parents. I know you are mad, I know you are frustrated, I know you think you are right and maybe you are, but are you willing to divide this community even more. We all shop at the same stores, cheer on the same sidelines. Some attend the same church, serve on boards together. Take it from someone who has been there before. It is not worth the anger. Our children will continue to succeed, let's hope we don't ruin it for them by behaving poorly. This too shall pass.

Catherine Weselak