Monday, July 28, 2008

Bittersweet Farewell from Laurie Francis

Source: Laurie Francis blog

Dear Del Mar Hills Families:

Below is the message that I sent to the Del Mar Hills staff last Friday. Much of the same sentiment applies to the seven years that I have spent working with many of you. We have accomplished so much together as a school community. I truly believe that we boast one of the BEST and most extraordinary schools in the county! Hills sets the bar for excellence and is consistently on the forefront of cutting edge practices that open door for our kids. That will never change; it is embedded in the culture. I have always held my head quite high when I share that I am principal of Del Mar Hills Academy. I feel so fortunate and blessed to have been part of your childrens' lives. I am going to miss all of you and look forward to hearing about all of the incredible strides that the Hills makes in the years to come. I will make myself consistently available for any support needed during the 2008-09 school year...I am close by! And, hopefully, I will see at least some of you at CVMS.

Please know that the District is moving rapidly to assure a new principal is in place for the start up of school.

With Love and Affection,
Laurie Francis


Dear Staff,

I have been lying awake thinking of the last seven plus years that we have spent together at Del Mar Hills. I remember my interview walk through around the Hills in April 2001. I was truly taken with our extraordinary school. Then, and now, the most special and striking aspect of the Hills is the outstanding, innovative and warm collection of personalities that comprise our faculty. Over the years, with each and every new hire at our school, the mix of personalities, intellect and excellence has excelled. Hence, the program consistently becomes richer and richer each year because of your hard work, creativity, talent and enthusiasm. I have always known that THE hardest aspect of leaving the Hills would be leaving behind all of you. Each year, my admiration, respect and love of the people on our staff becomes even greater. It has been a dream, a blessing and a privilege to work with colleagues that I would also carefully choose as my friends and professional advisors.

Last spring, I entertained the thought of prying myself away from such a special place and taking on a new challenge in my career in "moving back" to middle school as a principal. After much soul searching, I opted to remain at the Hills. I wanted to be sure that when I moved on, our school was absolutely PERFECT and that my timing would be spot on to ensure an seamless transition for everyone. We have lived through rapid growth in our district and we now have a full year of stability under our belts. Fortunately...and unfortunately, in my assessment, the Hills is in a PERFECT place, and, after seven plus years, I need to give myself the "kick in the pants" needed to grow professionally. If I pause, as I did last year, I know I will not be able to leave our staff and the secure/safe feeling of "the known". The the last week has been a whirlwind. Amidst, a few other significant changes in my life, I turned in an application to San Dieguito Union on July 17th, interviewed on the 21st and 24th and was offered the principalship of Carmel Valley Middle School on the 25th. I am glad it happened that fast, whereby, I did not have too much time to think. Sometimes, you just have to take the jump off that cliff...

I have a fondness for the "quirkiness" of the middle school years. I really enjoy kids in this age group and am currently living the dream at home with two of my very own adolescents! My years working in the Del Mar community and the time I spent at the mid-level as a teacher and assistant principal gives me the comfort and confidence that I need to move into a middle school principal position in Carmel Valley. The newness of walking in as a mid-level principal for the first time and taking on a school like CVMS gives me the challenge that I need to keep myself fresh and innovative professionally. It can be difficult to find the right match as a leader at the middle school level as the positions are few and far between. I feel extremely fortunate to have an opportunity to work with another incredible school district. I have an immense respect for the San Dieguito Union School District.

I did not intend to write this today but I feared that as "unofficial" word leaked out around town, this news would travel to you by someone other than me. My number one priority right now is a smooth opening of the Hills in August. Janet, Rodger and I are coordinating a timeline that ensures the best for Hills staff and students. And, I know, that as always, they will find the finest leadership match for our school. You will be part of the process. Can you imagine what a draw the Hills will be for a prospective principal? Your reputation precedes you!

Although, it is VERY difficult to let go, I am excited for a fresh set of eyes and a new dynamic leader coming into our school and seeing a new "next level" that maybe I wouldn't have seen as I am so invested in our program. Two things are certain 1) Hills will ALWAYS be an extraordinary school with one of the most innovative and warm staffs in town. It always has been and always will be...that's just the way it is. There's something in those octagon classroom walls. 2) Your new (fabulous) principal is quite lucky and in for one of the most rewarding professional and personal experiences ever.

Please enjoy the rest of your summer and I will see you soon.

Lots of Love,

Laurie